Why Commute SMART
There are many reasons to walk, ride your bike, take the bus, or share a ride to work. You’ll be happier, healthier, and wealthier when you choose one of these smart commuting options. Driving in traffic and bad weather, and worries about breakdowns cause stress. Gas and car maintenance is very expensive. Smart commuting is better. And, all the commuteSMARTseacoast options are great for a cleaner, greener Seacoast.
Do your part by commuting smart! Even if it’s just one or two days a week...
Overview of Mission, Services, & Funding
To promote smart commuting options – carpooling, vanpooling, transit, bicycling, walking, and teleworking- that will support a livable and economically vibrant greater Seacoast community.
CommuteSMARTseacoast is a TMA (Transportation Management Association) comprised of employer members. Membership is free and open to any employer in the Greater Seacoast region of New Hampshire.
- Services include:
- Confidential online carpool and vanpool matching service
- On-site educational events and materials about carpooling, bicycling, transit, and teleworking
- Individualized commuter transportation planning
- CommuteSMARTclub – registered commuters who work for member employers are eligible for the Emergency Ride Home program (up to 6 free rides home if an emergency occurs during work) and monthly drawings for prizes.
- Surveying and analyzing commuter transportation patterns and needs
- Quarterly e-newsletter and email blasts
- Regional commuter events and contests (e.g. "Bike/Walk to Work Week", "Try Transit Week", "Seacoast Commuter B2B Challenge")
- Workshops (e.g. bike safety, bike maintenance)
- Advocating on regional transportation issues
- Roundtables on commuting options and topics of common concern to members
Federal Department of Transportation (CMAQ) and NH Bureau of Turnpikes
Advisory Board & Staff
Anne Rugg, Manager
Advisory Board Members:
- Scott Bogle, Senior Transportation Planner, Rockingham Planning Commission
- Jackie Hanscome, Installation Energy Manager, Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
- Tom Jarvela, Systems Trainer & Developer, IAPP
- Rad Nichols, Executive Director, COAST
- Ned Savoie, Creative Director, Harbour Light Strategic Marketing
- Shayna Sylvia, Communications and Outreach Specialist, Strafford Regional Planning Commission
- Juliet Walker, Planning Director, City of Portsmouth